The foreign IT corporation is constantly adding new customizations to their software. We are their long-term localization partner to ensure they can offer all of the updates and accessories in all of the markets.
Cloud-based ERP with ongoing customisations
We cooperate with a multinational IT company that develops ERP for clients all over the world. Our task is to localize the software into the most commonly used languages. Tens of thousands of companies from various industries use this ERP to manage production, development, finance, sales and other activities because it is easy to use. To ensure that the software fully meets the processes and needs of customers, developers supplement standard ERP with various add-ons, so-called customizations.
The client makes the finished customizations available to other companies
The moment the developers finish modifying the software, they have the customized solution localized by us. That is why:
- a manufacturing firm in Brazil can use an ERP add-on in Portuguese that was originally created to handle trade tariffs between EU and Algerian companies,
- Japanese mining company can manage the transfer of raw materials between branches in Japanese language, with the help of a customization developed by an Australian logistics firm.
ERP customizations are added continuously, which means localizing tens of thousands of words per month. Due to the set processes and proper planning, we can usually have it done within few days. Skilled linguist who receives well-prepared documents and uses translation tools (CAT: Computer Assisted Translation) can handle 2,500 words a day.
While preparing the documents, we noticed a detail that made the work faster and cheaper
The client sent us the documents and we started the so-called localization engineering (initial technical checks and preparation of files for linguists). Thanks to our long-term cooperation, we have already created scripts in the translation tools that, among other things, ensure that the software code does not interfere with the linguists’ work.
We noticed there are many duplicates in the text files during the engineering phase. Therefore, we simulated the use of automated translation in the form of the so-called translation memory and we found that this saves our client approximately $16,000 in costs.
Savings assumption: sufficient time reserve
After the simulation, we contacted the localization specialist and verified the delivery date of the translated texts. Because the ERP developers left sufficient time for localization, we agreed to make heavy use of translation memory, which in practice meant that:
- The linguist translated the initial set of texts into the first language.
- The localization was checked by another linguist.
- We performed an internal check with the Quality Assurance tool.
- We have uploaded the “Perfect Match” strings to the translation memory.
- Before starting work on the second set of texts, we had everything translated by translation memory.
- The linguist then focused on the unmarked passages.
- We double-checked everything.
- And we repeated the process for the remaining texts in 16 other languages.
The client achieved two significant benefits by using the translation memory approach – saving an estimated $16,000 and getting the most consistent translations possible.